India thrives to be an incredible land for wildlife photography that offers an exemplary platform to explore the diverse fauna, maximizing your expertise and competency level. The sheer excitement of capturing the images of the intriguing animals in their natural habitat can be a mesmerizing experience. A comprehensive knowledge of the camera and a practiced hand can provide umpteen rare moments of capturing the most exotic snaps of the feral animals on the wide lens.
It’s not just clicking pictures but an aspiring wildlife photographer must have the passion for nature, wildlife and conservation. Moreover, an exhaustive knowledge of the subjects, technical skills, field craft skills, perfect eyesight, stamina and endurance level can fetch you picture perfect moments.
Wildlife photography in the lap of the nature can prove to a lucrative career for competent photographers, conversant with the animal world. Learn the nitty-gritty of the creative art of photography and bid goodbye to the mundane 9 to 6 job schedule, leaping into the sunset with a high tech camera in hand.
Wildlife Photography Courses to Learn and Master
A flourishing career in wildlife photography demands a sound education in reputed photography school that teaches the nitty-gritty of the creative art. The courses that you can pursue for your dream career are:
- Two or four year degree in photography gives the aspiring wildlife photographers to learn about the basic advanced photography procedures essential for a flourishing career.
- A degree in the zoology subject with specialization or with a minor in photography also proves to be beneficial for the career.
There are 3 basic levels to master photography:
Have you just bought a D-SLR camera and looking for an interesting opportunity to start? First know the operations, functions of the camera and the angles of photography. The basic level will explain about the essentials of the camera, its unique features and the ways to operate them.
This level will offer the photography enthusiasts practical on field training sessions and the myriad subjects to shoot like travel, street, nature, general portraiture, landscape, still life, humans, animals etc.
Photographers are instructed about a specific genre of the art like wildlife, fashion, photojournalism, studio etc.
The courses will provide the wannabe photographers an edge in the career and educate them about the astounding behavior of the animals and the fundamentals of photography.
Career Options in Wildlife Photography
Exploring the jungles in search of wildlife can be breathtaking. For wildlife photographers there are a plethora of intriguing jobs waiting. Find the appropriate one from the options below:
- Zoo Photography: The basic difference lies in the environment. Using the cameras, lighting and angles you can take spectacular photos of the animals in zoological park or aquarium.
- Nature Photography: Capturing the admirable scenic beauty can be really a fascinating job. Along with animals, you need expertise in clicking pictures of natural settings, like sunsets, mountains, insects, plants etc.
- Wild Travel Magazine: Wildlife photographers are often hired for exciting assignments for magazine, newspapers, advertising agencies, publishing companies, NGOs and government agencies. Your pictures can also gain reputation in calendars, designing cards or also in museums and photography workshops.
- Education: If you have the perfect technical skills with expertise in handling camera then look out! There might be agencies looking for you as a trainer to instruct amateurs, guiding them about the art of photography.
- Freelancing: Work independently, be a freelancer. If you have the ability to work independently then you can be your own boss. Click random photos and sell them, acquiring huge amount of recognition.
Steps to Begin as a Wildlife Photographer
- Have an eye for details and pick up an interesting subject that appeals you.
- Have a thorough understanding of controls, modes, exposure control of the camera.
- Check the weather forecast and be prepared for all conditions, carrying waterproofs, sun block, rain covers and lens hoods
- Developing a keen visual sense, understanding the patterns, colors, hues, spatial perception etc
- Carry a tripod, spot the scope or take binoculars
- Enhance your observational skills and patience level. Wildlife can be an inconsistent subject hence you need to wait to click a splendid picture!
- Showcase the breadth of your work – different subjects and camera techniques, close-ups and the environment
- Display the breadth of the pictures click- diverse subjects, camera work, techniques, composition, zoomed pictures, close-ups, environment, landscape etc.
- Talent to work under stress and meet deadlines
- Enter competitions and get noted. Display the breathtaking photos and get associated with reputed organizations, names and with esteemed wildlife photographers.
If you are a budding wildlife photographer, master the technical skills, gaining extensive knowledge of the domain and plunge into the astounding and untamed world.