Image courtesy: dreamstime.com
Choosing the right undergraduate degree or professional course is one of the most important decisions in a young person’s life. However, cutthroat competition, high cut-off percentages for admission, limited number of seats in prestigious institutions of higher learning and an increasing presence of private universities and colleges, makes choosing the right course a daunting experience.
To provide clarity on your options, here is a list of the most popular undergraduate degrees and professional courses in India beyond 10+2 level:
Graduate Degree Courses
- B.A (Bachelor of Arts): Arts or Humanities has always been among the most popular streams in India. The broad categories of courses available in the arts stream include archaeology, languages, history, English, political science, geography, psychology, sociology, economics, and philosophy. Obtaining a degree in the field of arts sets the foundation for a career in academics and research, journalism, law, media, social work, civil services, defence forces and even politics.
- BBM/BBA (Bachelor of Business Management or Administration): Management courses such as BBM/BBA opens up career opportunities in myriad industries such as manufacturing, financial services, logistics and telecommunications. A BBA/ BBM degree is a great choice for people aspiring to make a mark for themselves in the corporate world. To get into the best of colleges offering these courses, apart from the prerequisite grades, you need to have good communication skills, excellent grasp of current affairs, and a strong head for numbers.
- BCom: A graduate degree in commerce imparts knowledge of accounts, business law, finance, e-commerce, economics, and business administration. With a graduate degree in commerce, you can pursue further studies such as an MBA or a MCom or look for an entry-level job on graduation.
- BTech/BE: A BTech/BE degree opens up a world of opportunities across science, I.T, and engineering fields. Students can choose streams such as electrical, aeronautical, mechanical, computer-science, metallurgy, marine engineering, textile engineering, genetic engineering, and agricultural and food engineering.
- MBBS: Medicine remains the most respected career in India. After completing the course, students can obtain a registration and start their own practice as a physician/doctor. They can also join a hospital or clinic as a resident or visiting doctor. With corporatisation of the health industry, the opportunities for medical graduates have multiplied.
Apart from these old-time favourites, depending on your interests and existing subjects, you can also consider the following vocational courses, which these offer great career prospects as well.
- Fine arts: Due to an upsurge in the animation and arts industry, job opportunities for fine arts professionals are in abundance. You could find work in advertising agencies, art studios, films and theatre productions, publication houses, textile industry, graphic arts, and digital media.
- Fashion: Over last two decades, the Indian fashion industry has grown rapidly and so has the demand for designers. There are many opportunities for professionals in the field of garment design, jewellery design, textile design, fashion retailing, fashion photography, and fashion consultancy.
- Mass communication: With explosion in media and communication technology, numerous avenues have opened up for mass communication professionals. With a degree in mass communication, you can make a career in publishing, films & TV, public relations, editing, journalism, direction, scriptwriting, filmmaking, production, and related fields.
- Architecture: Architecture has always been a sought after field amongst students who want a mix of creativity and engineering. With a boom in construction and infrastructure industry, there are numerous job prospects in areas such as rural planning, urban designing, interior decoration, structural designing, and transportation design.
- Animation: There are exciting opportunities for animation experts in various fields such as online advertisements, video gaming, movies television, and website development.
Here are some of the top colleges offering aforementioned courses
- Lady Sri Ram College, New Delhi
- St. Stephens College, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
- Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Indian Institute of technology, New Delhi,
- Indian Institute of technology, Kanpur
- AIIMS, Delhi
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- Armed Forces Medical College, (AFMC), Pune
- Visva-Bharati, Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan
- Faculty of Music & Fine Arts, University of Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication, Pune,
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Sir JJ College of architecture, Mumbai
- Department of Architecture, IIT, Rourkee
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi and Bangalore
- MAEER’s MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Arena Animation, Mumbai
While selecting a course, apart from considering the reputation of the college and job prospects, you must also take into account your own interests, abilities and long-term goals. As they say – find something you love and you will never work a day in your life.
So all the best from www.learnpick.in and choose a course that is just right for you